The previous post talked about inserting a dilator but just leaving it in. This list explains what to do with the dilator besides allowing it to sit and stretch.
- Apply lubricant on the outer skin of vagina. Apply lubricant to end of dilator.
- Spread the skin away from the vaginal opening. Place the end of the dilator at the opening.
- Do a maximum contraction of the pelvic floor muscles. Tighten the vagina and the anus maximally and then relax.
- When you know they are relaxed, gently and slowly insert the dilator into your vagina directing it slightly downward for 2-3 inches of insertion.
- Relax and stretch the vagina at the 6 o’clock position.
- Hold the stretch for ____ seconds and repeat ____ times with ____ seconds rest break between each stretch.
- Repeat the stretching in the 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock positions.
- Total time should be ____ minutes, ____ x per day. Note the amount of time you were able to achieve and your tolerance to the dilator in your vagina.
- When ready, advance to moving the dilator in and out of your vagina.
- Once you have accomplished the techniques you may try them standing with one foot resting on the tub, or in other positions.
I left some blanks in there as they will be different for each person. I usually do a stretch for 1 minute each. I start a session out with a hot bath. Then I do one Kegel and release to make sure I’m at the most relaxed state I can be. I start with my thumb so I can actually feel the muscle tone and start the stretch. One minute at 6, 4 and 8 o’clock positions…usually 2x. Then I’ll use the smallest dilator then move onto my largest (I only have two dilators). After I do the stretching, I leave the largest dilator in for several minutes allowing it to stretch the muscles. I’m working on the in and out thing. That still causes a lot of burning and rawness. But I’m making progress.
I hope this helps any of you trying this method of treatment :)